SJCA Inc. is seeking a full-time Civil Engineer/Utility Coordinator to join our Indiana Transportation team.
SJCA is a leading civil engineering firm that provides professional infrastructure design services to state, municipal, and private sector clients, specializing in transportation design. We are a growing firm with a variety of exciting projects and excellent potential for personal growth and achievement. We take pride in rewarding and supporting our employees, and in treating them with the respect they deserve. SJCA believes in work-life balance and works with employees to achieve a schedule and workload that is appropriate. At SJCA, we value you as a person, support your professional growth and development, and want you to succeed.
This multi-faceted position will offer responsibilities in multiple areas for a variety of projects. The Civil Engineer will work in design of bridges, roadways, and small structures. This position will also act as Utility Coordinator and perform the work of identifying, coordinating, mitigating and/or relocating utility facilities that are impacted by highway improvement projects throughout Indiana. Projects are likely to include interstates and highways, urban and rural roadways, and also bridge rehabilitation or replacement projects. This key role requires the ability to work as part of a multidisciplinary team, communicate and coordinate activities, and execute projects for a variety of clients.
Typical responsibilities include the following:
- Frequent communications with utilities, review of Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT), Local Public Agency (LPA) or local design plans, review of utility relocation work plans, constructability reviews of proposed relocations, preparation of agreements and site inspections during construction.
- Act as the liaison between client, designer, and the utilities.
- Perform office utility coordination between phone and emails and have approximately 10% travel to do field check meetings.
- Design of Roadway projects including horizontal alignment, vertical alignment, drainage design, ditch profile, guardrail calculations and super elevation diagrams.
- Design and prepare plans for small structure projects.
- Assist in preparing CAD drawings using GEOPAK, and/or OPENROADS DESIGNER and MICROSTATION software.
- Assist in developing construction plans from engineering design calculations.
- Perform bridge and small structure inspections and complete any associated reports and load ratings.
- Perform hand and software supported bridge analysis and design computations.
- Visit project sites locally and throughout the Indiana and other Midwest locations to perform bridge and small structure inspections, verify existing conditions during design, and provide construction support engineering.
- Coordinate with other disciplines within the transportation department including but not limited to survey, roadway, drainage, planning and environmental.
Requirements for this Position
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering (BSCE) or related field, OR 4+ years of experience in highway or utility industries with prior utility coordination experience.
- Minimum of one year in utility coordination and/or utility relocation efforts.
- INDOT utility coordination certification
- Experience coordinating with utilities, utility design, DOT projects
- Ability to read and understand highway and bridge plans and specifications.
- Ability to upload documents into INDOT UMS preferred.
- Proficiency in MicroStation CAD to review utility conflicts and relocation design provided by the utilities, and to prepare master relocation drawings.
- Experience in development and/or review of utility relocation designs.
- Ability to visit and safely traverse construction and project sites and comply with all applicable safety codes and requirements.
- Experience preparing roadway and/or bridge structure plans for INDOT or DOT projects
- Must be highly organized and detail oriented.
- Possess excellent time management skills.
- Ability to collaborate on projects and interface with clients
- Ability to complete multiple projects within established schedules.
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Qualified candidates may expect competitive compensation, commensurate with experience, and an excellent benefits package, in addition to working with a great team.
- A fun, casual work environment on the north side of Indy
- Free refreshments and snacks
- Flexible work hours
- The option to work remotely at times
- A comprehensive benefit package including choice of two medical plans, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance, and Health Savings Account option.
- A 401k retirement savings plan with 3% employer contribution.
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Staff outings and other fun social activities
- Professional development opportunities
- Paid holidays and a generous amount of Paid Time Off.
QUALIFIED CANDIDATES, Please submit your resume with cover letter as one attachment. Please include your desired salary range in your cover letter.
SJCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.